PROFILE OF OUR DISTINGUISHED SENATOR R.A BOROFFICE, OON ( The Asiwaju of Akokoland).
The highest expression for a gifted personality is selfless service to the fellow men and intrinsic capability to unravel problem of the masses. An unusual powerful gift of nature moulded and polished by education and upbringing. Professor Robert Ajayi Boroffice was born on 23rd of April 1949 at Iboje Quarter, Oka-Akoko in ondo state, to the family of Late Pa Zachacus Omololu Boroffice and Late Mrs Comfort Aina Boroffice.
He had his elementary education in Christ school oka-Akoko between 1955 and 1960, and later proceeded to African church Grammar school, oka-Akoko between 1961 and 1965 for his secondary education and graduated in the first division in the west African school certificate examination. He also attended victory college ikare-Akoko between 1966 and 1967 for his higher school certificate and graduated in flying colours.
In 1968 after teaching briefly in his Alma matter. African church Grammer school, he proceeded to university of ibadan for a degree in Geology, but he later changed his course to Zoology. He graduated in 1971 as the best student in the department with second class upper division which was very rare in the ZOOLOGY department in the university of ibadan at that time. As a result of his excellent performance, he was admitted to pursue his Doctorate degree programme in that same department. In 1975, Prof. Boroffice bagged a Ph.D, degree in Genetics. In 1978, he proceeded to university of New Castle upon time for a post Doctoral Research fellowship in Human Genetics.
During his secondary school education. Prof. Robert was on the then western state scholarship. In the undergraduate programme, he was on west German government scholarship and fox his graduate studies: he enjoyed the Bulganian government grant. As a post Doctorate Research fellow he enjoyed inter-university council fellowship Award.
Professor Boroffice started his academic career at the university of ibadan as lecturer 2 in 1975. He served on various committees and in several capacities while in the university of ibadan. They include among others.
* House Allocation Committee.
* Chairman Business Committee of the school senate.
* Assistance hall warden, kuti hall.
He was invited in 1985 to assist in the academic development of the lagos state university, ojo lagos. He left university of ibadan in 1985 as senior lecturer and in 1986 he become a PROFESSOR OF ZOOLOGY at the lagos state university. while in lagos state university, he served in various capacities which among other are:
* Head of Department of Sciences.
* Dean, Faculty of Sciences.
* Chairman Committee of Deans.
* Chairman University Examination Committee.
* Chairman Staff Welfare Committee.
* Chairman LASU Staff School PTA
* Chairman Chapel Committee, Chapel of Light, Lagos state university.
* Chairman Board of Trustees, Chapel of Light Lagos State University.
Professor Boroffice served on various boards among which are:
* Ondo state scholarship Board.
* Chairman, ondo state college of education ikere-ekiti.
* Member, Governing Board of Nigerian Pharmaceutical Research institute Abuja.
* Member, Governing Council of the Nigerian institute of Social and Economic Research.
* Member, Governing Council of Lagos state university.
* Chairman Board of Directors, Nigerian Communication Satellite Limited.
In 1992, he was invited to join the staff of the National Agency for Science and Engineering and Infrastructure (NASENI) as the coordinating Director of science and given the responsibility of developing programmes in High-Tech. Between 1992 and 2000, he was able to develop programmes in space science and Technology, Biotechnology, Information and communication Technology, and eventually midwifed three agencies in the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology namely.
* National space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA).
* National Biotechnology Development Agency (NABDA).
* National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA).
He was appointed the pioneer Director-General and Chief Executive of NASRDA in 1999. In the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, he proved himself to be an excellent administrator. He represented Nigeria on several international organisation which include:
* United National Committee on Science and Technology for Development.
* United National Committee on peaceful uses of outer space.
* Committee on Earth observation Satellites.
Today, the name of Professor Rober Ajayi Boroffice is bold in the evolution of space science and technology in Nigeria and Africa. He has created a collection of monuments in the field of space science and Technology, and one cannot but be fascinated by his lifestyle and monumental achievements. Under his guidance and leadership, NASRDA became the fastest growing space agency in the world. He successfully developed from a virgin land to what it is now a pride of Africa-Obasanjo space center. In addition to the physical infrastructure on ground, he pursued aggressively capacity building in all areas of space science and technology . Thus, the agency can now boast of over 150 space scientists trained in different part of the world.
The highlights of his achievement in NASRDA include:
* The successful launch of a low orbit micro-satellite code named Nigeria Sat-1 in 2003. The first of its kind in the black world.
* The successful launch of Geostationary orbit communication satellite code named Nigcomsat-1 in 2007. The first in the black world.
* The manufacture of Nigeriasat-2, a 300kg Earth observation satellite with a 2.5 resolution in the panchromatic band and 5m in the mutispectral band this was launch in 2011 by his successor.
* Telemedicine network linking six Federal medical centers with two teaching hospitals in the country.
* Tele-education network linking via satellite, the National Open University of Nigeria Lagos with 13 other study centres across the country.
Asiwaju of Akokoland services to his community includes youth empowerment through skill acquisition and employment and provision of boreholes in various communities in Akoko.
He is a practicing christian and a complete gentleman, highly dedicated and very pro active in christian activities. An elder in the New Convenant Church, Abuja, and a life member of Gideon’s International, and a president and Co-founder of Gaius Ministry.
For his academic excellence and service to his community, state, nation and humanity Professor Boroffice has received many awards which include:
* Officer of the order of Niger, OON.
* Full member of international Academy of Astronautics.
* Distinguished scientist Award by the science Association of Nigeria.
* Environmental Award by the institute of Ecology and Environmental studies, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile- Ife.
* Achiever Award by Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba- Akoko.
* Excellent in science Award by the International Association of Lion Clubs.
* The Development in Nigeria Merit Award.
* Geoson Award by Geo information society of Nigeria.
* Award of Honour by international union of Geodesy and Geophysics, and Nigeria union of planetary and Radio sciences.
* Financial Integrity Award by the Editorial Board of Credit Market Magazine.
* Leadership Excellence Award by National Association of Akoko students.
* Spirit of Detroit Award by the city council of Detrioits, Michigan USA.
* Dr. Kwame Nkrumah outstanding merit Award by West Africa International Magazine.
* Excellence Award by Federation of Yoruba Parapo Students Union.
* Award of leadership Excellence in Science and Technology.
* Award of Excellence by Akoko Union.
* National Builder Award by Nigeria in Diaspora Organisation, Michigan, USA.
* Award of Excellence by the Nigeria Institute of Physics.
* Ondo state man of the year 2008, by society watch international, Dublin Ireland and Owena press limited Akure.
* Merit Award by lagos state university staff school.
* Award of Excellence by National Association of ondo state student (NAOSS).
* Oka Distinguished Scientist and Achievers in the field of Science Award by faculty of science Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
* ASIWAJU OF AKOKOLAND. The title conferred by Akoko Obas in May 2009.
After leaving office as active academician and public servant, Professor Boroffice quest to still serve his people did not fade. This factor quickened his interest in active politics and prior to 2011 general election, he had positioned himself to vie for Ondo North Senatorial District seat. As a man who never disconnect with his people at the grass-root, though he faced little opposition yet, he got the ticket of his party, the labour party to contest the sanatoria election. He defeated other two contestants from PDP and ACN to emerge as the Senator representing his Ondo North Senatorial District people at the seventh National Assembly in Nigeria. Currently, he is the chairman senate committee on Science and Technology at the present seventh National Assembly.
On the 28th of December 2011 Professor Boroffice was formally and publicly received by the leaders of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) now All Progressive Congress (APC) were he declear his interest to vying for ondo state governorship election, in 2013 but the leadership of the party dropped him and pick Bar Rotimi Akeredolu. Many other contestant left the party to support Mimiko while other joined PDP but Professor (Senator) Ajayi Boroffice did not only stay in the party but also support Bar Rotimi Akeredolu campaign in all the 72 wards of Ondo North Senatorial District.
In 2015 Senator (Prof) Boroffice contest for second term as the Senator representing the good people of Ondo North Senatorial District because of his good work to his people he defeated other contestant from other party, he also delivered his two assembly seats for APC.
He lead all the APC senators in the south west to stand by the party position before, during, and after the inauguration of the 8th National Assembly while some refused to follow the party instruction due to their selfish interest.
Asiwaju wants all to support him to rescue our beloved state from backwardness and mismanagement of our collective resource. The race to ALAGBAKA 2016 is divine and so definite; THE TRUE SUN IS SET TO SHINE.
Senator (Professor) Ajayi Boroffice is married to amiable Professor (Mrs) Olusimbo Bamidele Boroffice, a Director in the Nationa Board of Incubation Technology, Abuja. The marriage is blessed with children and grand children.