Home Academics FUTASCOOPS COMMISSIONS HOSTEL PROJECT, ELECTS NEW OFFICERS

FUTASCOOPS COMMISSIONS HOSTEL PROJECT, ELECTS NEW OFFICERS

by ondoevents
0 comment

A female hostel built by the FUTA Academic staff Cooperative Society(FUTASCOOPS) at the cost of N103 million has been commissioned. While commissioning the project, the Vice Chancellor, Professor Joseph Fuwape said “it’s always good for individuals or groups to proffer solutions to challenges facing the society. The Academic Staff Union of Universities, FUTA branch has done well through its cooperative society by alleviating the suffering of students of the institution with the intervention”. Professor Fuwape said less than 20% of the students who get admitted to FUTA get accommodation on campus, thus leaving over 80% to stay off campus. This according to him is not too good because of the various unpalatable experiences such students have where they stay. Fuwape said the Dean of Students, Professor Gbenga Onibi and his team were always on the move to resolve issues concerning students where they live. He promised the continuous support of his administration to organizations willing to partner with the university in building hostels or making life and living easy for staff and students. Talking about unity and purpose, Professor Fuwape said” there is strength in synergy. We are all friends, so let’s team up to do great things. We have started well and we will not relent” He commended the initiative of FUTASCOOPS through its leadership to build the edifice to address the perennial hostel shortfall on campus, and urged students who are the end users to ensure proper maintenance of the hostel.
Speaking earlier, the duo of the President FUTASCOOPS, Professor Victor Adekunle and Chairman, Building Committee, Professor Daniel Arotupin said the project is a product of the savings of cooperators and that funds were judicially utilized through direct labour and professional assistance of members in related departments. According to them, through direct labour, the building was completed and furnished at N103 million as against the initial N172 million estimated.
They commended the efforts of Past Vice Chancellors (professors Adebisi Balogun and Adebiyi Daramola) and the current Vice Chancellor (Professor Joseph Fuwape) for their assistance in ensuring the prompt and timely release of deductions.
According to the President, the hostel is the first private University property in FUTA. He called on other unions to follow suit.
At the Annual General Meeting, elections were held and Dr Beatrice Olawumi emerged the new president of the society while Dr (Engr.) Daniel Ooruntoba emerged Vice President.
Other elected officers are:
Dr Ajiboye Solomon Oyerinde-Secretary
Dr Mrs. Arowosafe Folasade-Welfare officer
Dr Mrs. Abosede Daramola-Treasurer

You may also like

Leave a Comment