Akeredolu Expanding Health Sector’s Frontiers In Ondo
Ondo State governor, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN, is living up to his administration’s commitment to ensure an all-round development of the state.
Many have wondered if the massive infrastructural developments being witnessed in the sunshine state have not taken all the resources and attention of the governor to develop other sectors, particularly, the health sector.
It has, however, been observed that since the Akeredolu administration came on board, there has been a paradigm shift from the old order, giving rise to critical and indelible intervention in the health sector, with the sole aim of prioritizing the healthy living of the people of the state.
Yes, the Governor may now have a new prefix- Mr. Road and Infrastructure, as a result of the unprecedented number of roads he has constructed in less than three years in office, but they may as well add Dr. because of his commitment and intervention in the health sector.
- Prior to his coming into office, the Mother and Child hospital were only two, which were concentrated in the Central senatorial district of the state, with one in Ondo town and the second in Akure, the state capital.
After careful appraisal of the situation by the State Executive Council, the Akeredolu administration decided to extend the mother and child hospital to other senatorial districts.
Today, there are two in the Northern Senatorial district in Ikare Akoko and Owo. The Southern Senatorial district also has three with one in Ore, one in Okitipupa and one in Igbokoda, bringing the number to seven.
- Medical personnel is very important in the efforts at providing qualitative health care to the people of the state. Till date, the Akeredolu administration has recruited 229 medical Personnel to various Health Institutions across the state. These are:
5 Dental Officers
5 Dental Technologists
5 Dental Therapists
20 Medical Record Officers
16 Medical Lab. Scientists
50 Medical Officers
95 Nurses /Midwivies
- The Akeredolu administration has procured and distributed Multi-million naira medical equipment to Primary health facilities in the state. Some of the equipment include: 300 units of Children Ambu-bag, 60 units of Adult Ambu-bag, 300 Units of Baby weighing scale, 300 Units of Blood pressure apparatus, 300 Units of Stethoscope, 301 Units of Angle poise Examination light, 18 Units of Anti – Shock garment and 300 Units of Penguin suction device among several others. This has been done twice within two and half years. Governor Akeredolu described the equipment as necessary in order to improve the diagnostic and therapeutic capacity of the primary health care facilities and respond to the health needs of the people across the state.
- Governor Akeredolu secured and has distributed $5million Biomedical Equipment and consumables. The equipment were the ones secured by the Governor during his visit to the United State of America (USA) last year from MedShare, a U.S.-based non-profit organisation in Atlanta to strengthen the state’s health sector.
- The Akeredolu administration met Zero accreditation at the University of Medical Science, Ondo. Today, the administration has facilitated the accreditation of 15 Courses at the University.
- The Akeredolu administration signed into Law, the Bill establishing the University of Medical Science Teaching Hospital.
- One other intervention embarked upon by Governor Akeredolu in the health sector is the upgrade of health facilities in the state to provide quality services for children who are below age five and pregnant women.
- Ceding of the School of Nursing and Midwifery to Ondo State University of Medical Sciences, Ondo, thereby upgrading it into a degree awarding institution.
- The Akeredolu administration upgraded the Ondo State School of Health Technology, Akure to Ondo State College of Health Technology, Akure.
*These and many more.
Story credit: Olabode R Olatunde